Sunday, May 29, 2011

AMD Radeon HD

System Specs:
ATI Radeon HD 5850
Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
Intel i7 950
Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White















 
Performed Mods:
Taken apart the ATI Radeon HD and painting the cover, frame and fan in blue & white to match my case and motherboard.
This is just about the graphics adapter, not really the rest of the PC. I Decided to paint my newly bought graphics card in colors to match my case and motherboard. I found an dissemble guide here: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/236115,amd-radeon-hd-6870-reference-disassembly-guide.aspx Works for must ATI cards. After dissembling I gave the plastic case and fan some plastic primmer to make the paint stick better. I covered up black(that I want to be white), with tape bought for precision painting and then sprayed the red parts blue. Then I let it dry for 24 hours, to make sure the blue wouldn't come off (You should always let everything dry according to the description on the can, before proceeding to next step). Then i covered the blue parts and painted the rest white. I then discovered that I forgot the metal frame between the cooler casing and the circuit board, so I had to paint that again. Assembled all of it and put in the machine. *edit* Oh yeah 2 tips, remember the little cable for the fan power, don't stretch it when you unplug it, pull in the clip, not the wires. Remember to put it back in! 2.cnd It's a good idea to replace the thermal paste with a high quality one.